History of Wilton Golf Club
Formed in 1952 as part of ICI Wilton's Recreation Club, golf matches initially had to be played on other courses as the Club did not have a Golf Course. In 1954 work started on the construction of a 9-hole golf course and a well-known golf architect, Mr. J. F. S. Morrison, of Colt Allison & Morrison was employed to design the layout. The course was constructed on parkland in front of Wilton Castle and financed by ICI.
One of the highlights in 1957 was the visit of Henry Cotton to play a 4-ball exhibition round. The match was watched by over 600 spectators. Coming to the last hole the match was all square, but from 30 yards Henry chipped in to win the match.
Plans and proposals were made to extend the course to 18 holes. The new holes were ready for play in March 1966. The extended course and a new clubhouse were officially opened in May 1967. The popularity of the Golf Club continued to the extent that in 1974 membership, which then stood at over 1000, was closed to all categories.
A new purpose built clubhouse was completed in 1979. The clubhouse is a pleasant and comfortable environment in which to relax, or alternatively to play snooker. Refurbishment and additions have been made since the original construction, all adding to the attractiveness of this facility.
In 1999 ICI decided to sell the land on which Wilton Golf Course is located. Funding was raised and a business plan prepared which enabled the Golf Club to purchase the course and buildings The Golf Club is now a private club, owned by its members, similar to many others in the North East.
The course itself is set in parkland with an abundance of well established trees and shrubs. Golfers however should not be deceived. What appears to be a relatively short and low scoring 18 holes has unseen problems for the over ambitious golfer.